This mission is rooted in a set of core values. These core values, embraced by Professional Matchmakers throughout the Matchmaking Institute's history, are the foundation of Professional Matchmakers' unique purpose and perspective:
Dignity of the person
Importance of human relationships
This constellation of core values reflects what is unique to the Matchmaking Profession.
Purpose of the Code of Ethics
Professional ethics are at the core of Professional Matchmakers. The profession has an obligation to articulate its basic values, ethical principles, and ethical standards. The Matchmaking Institute's Code of Ethics sets forth these values, principles, and standards to guide Professional Matchmakers' conduct. The Code is relevant to all matchmakers who are a Member of the Professional Matchmakers Association, regardless of their professional functions, the settings in which they work, or the populations they serve.
This Code of Ethics serves six purposes
1. The Code identifies core values that all Professional Matchmakers should share.
2. The Code summarizes broad ethical principles that reflect the profession's core values and establishes a set of specific ethical standards that should be used to guide matchmaker practice.
3. The Code is designed to help matchmakers identify relevant considerations when professional obligations conflict or ethical uncertainties arise.
4. The Code provides ethical standards to which the general public can hold the Matchmaking Profession accountable.
5. The Code addresses matchmakers new to the field having them adhere to their mission, values, ethical principles, and ethical standards.
6. The Code articulates standards that the matchmaking profession itself can use to assess whether Professional Matchmakers have engaged in unethical conduct.
Ethical principles are based on Matchmakers core values of service, dignity and worth of the person, importance of human relationships, integrity, and competence. These principles set forth ideals to which all matchmakers should aspire.
Matchmakers' primary goal is to help people gain quality introductions.
Matchmakers elevate service to others above self-interest. Matchmakers draw on their knowledge, values, and skills to help people achieve their goal.
The following ethical standards are relevant to the professional activities of all matchmakers. These standards concern (1) matchmakers' ethical responsibilities to clients, (2) matchmakers' ethical responsibilities to colleagues, (3) matchmakers' ethical responsibilities in practice settings, (4) matchmakers' ethical responsibilities as professionals, (5) matchmakers' ethical responsibilities to the Matchmaking Profession.
Approved Members of the Professional Matchmakers Association shall:
1. Adhere to the highest quality standards in the industry;
2. Be dedicated to a client's right to a personal, supportive and professional service at all times;
3. Maintain a strict confidentiality of all client accounts and not divulge, discuss or otherwise exploit any restricted material related to client profile, status or record of activity;
4. Take the utmost care to deliver the highest standard of service for total customer satisfaction and be subject to evaluations correlating to client assessments;
5. Do their best to ensure that every client receives the attention and respect they deserve, respond to inquires in a timely fashion and offer complete and clear answers;
6. Be diligent when qualifying all potential matches on behalf of your clients with a personalized approach from beginning to end;
7. Be subject to mandatory professional review for biennial re-approval, in accordance with the Matchmaking Institute’s guidelines;
8. Have a complaint response policy in place to address any and all consumer complaints and concerns;
9. Diligently adhere to all applicable Federal, State and Local laws relating to the industry.